What you need to know to travel to and from the UK from 1 January?

At Vrio we want to inform you of everything you need to travel with confidence to and from the UK from January 2021.

The United Kingdom and the European Union reached a pre-agreement for an orderly departure. However, the details of the negotiation that would enter into force from 1 January 2021 are still not known.

The prior agreement implies that the transitional transport regime would be extended at least throughout 2021, in the event that as a bilateral agreement is not negotiated. The transitional agreement allows the movement of trucks with the European Community License.

Until we have a more definitive outcome of the negotiations which are currently ongoing, we recommend paying attention to the following documentary requirements for both vehicle, driver and goods:

1. Passport

As always Drivers must carry their passport.

2. Driver’s license

Driver’s license’s issued in the EU will remain valid.


The EORI is the registration and identification number of the economic operator assigned by a customs authority. You can apply using the following link https://www.gov.uk/eori .

4. Transit Accompaniment Document (TAD)

The United Kingdom will require that all goods imported into this country be subject to customs declaration or transit movements (CTC). This means that the driver must carry in the vehicle the Transit Accompaniment Document (TAD) which must contain the MRN (Movement Reference Number) or GMR (Goods Movement Reference) and the EORI of the trader.

5. Kent Access Permit (KAP)

Drivers using the roads in Kent towards the port of Dover and/or Eurotunnel must be in possession of a “Kent Access Permit” (KAP). Each KAP would be valid for 24 hours to cover a single trip. The penalty for driving without such permission will be EUR 300 (332.97 euros).

The permit will be requested through “Check an HGV is Ready to Cross the Border” and will consist of an “On Line Declaration” which will include truck data, destination, expected travel date, shipment data and a series of self-declarations to confirm that customs and import/export documentation is correct and is carried on board the truck.


6. Sanitary and phytosanitary controls

Certain fruits, fresh vegetables, meat, fish and flowers will be subject to sanitary and phytosanitary controls. For more information, consult the:


The following products will not require a phytosanitary certificate:

  • Processed and packaged fruits and vegetables (salads, sandwiches, frozen material).
  • Compound products (nut or seed butters containing processed fruits or vegetables).

In short

Driver Documentation:

Vehicle and merchandise documentation:

  • Green card (accident insurance of the entire vehicle).
  • Community License.
  • Customs Transit Accompaniment Documents (TADs) duly completed and transmitted to the customs authority 24 hours prior to travel. This documentation must be provided to the carrier through your customer.
  • Phytosanitary controls, if applicable.

For a trip with guarantees it is also necessary to know what services we need:

  • Toll devices enabled for Spain and France, as well as being properly discharged at Dartford Tunnel, and manage discharge in the low emissions zone (LEZ) in London.
  • An extensive network of service stations (in Vrio we have more than 50000) throughout Europe that will make us optimize the trip without losing a single minute.
  • Registration for Macron Law of France: drivers who are employees need to have the supporting document in case of loading or unloading in France, which is common in trips to the UK.
  • Ferries: we have all the possible options to cross to and from the UK. In Vrio we have created an online booking system with which you can, apart from booking, prepare budgets to be able to calculate your costs.